Tooth repair looks natural with crowns from Pembroke Pines, FL dentist
Teeth are strong and hard, but sometimes their durable structure is compromised. Dental crowns reinstate oral function, protecting and strengthening damaged teeth. At Pines Dental Associates in Pembroke Pines, FL, Dr. Milton Ruiz creates porcelain teeth that look beautifully natural.
White tooth caps are versatile
Dental crowns are sometimes called caps because they encircle the part of the tooth that extends above the gumline. Dr. Ruiz may recommend crowns in these situations:
- Extensive tooth decay – When a cavity is too large to support a traditional filling, the tooth can be saved with a crown.
- Cracked tooth crown – A crown is used to restore a broken tooth, or to hold pieces of a fractured tooth together.
- Root canal therapy – A crown is placed following endodontic treatment to protect the tooth from further damage.
- Dental implant restoration – A crown is the finishing touch on this type of stand-alone tooth replacement.
- Crown and bridge unit – A dental bridge uses crowns to anchor the prosthetic in place.
- Crown lengthening – Crowns restore the size of teeth that are worn down from bruxing (clenching or grinding during sleep). A crown can also correct unusual shape or size of a tooth, for improved appearance and bite.
- Cosmetic enhancement – A front tooth crown may cover enamel imperfections or deep discoloration.
Getting crowns in Pembroke Pines, FL
Getting a crown on a tooth calls for just two dental visits. At the first appointment, Dr. Ruiz administers local anesthetic to make sure you are comfortable. Areas of decayed or damaged tooth structure are removed. The tooth is shaped, which may involve reducing it or building it up with composite material. Impressions are taken and you select the shade of your new crown. The doctor places a temporary restoration to protect the prepared tooth.
Your porcelain crown is fabricated by a ceramist at a dental laboratory. When you return to Pine Dental Associates, the temporary crown is painlessly removed, and the new one is fitted and cemented in place. (Usually numbing is not needed.)
With sensible oral habits and regular checkups, your crown restoration can last many years.
Dr. Ruiz welcomes patients from Cooper City, Miramar, and Hollywood. Call (954) 715-4660 for an appointment in Pembroke Pines, FL for crowns or other dental treatment.